CAD Support Technician
On Line People Limited are currently looking for a CAD Support Technician to work for one of our clients based in Sheffield. This is a Temporary role with the view of becoming permanent.
Purpose of role;
This role will be responsible for maintaining and providing technical expertise to the Engineering departments in relation to company CAD/PLM tools.
Ensure best practice is achieved and maintained for CAD/CAE platforms through constant improvement of applications, training, technical support and standards.
Working within the Application Support Team the role will demand knowledge of current 2D/3D CAD tools in order to aid delivery of global projects.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide first line CAD support for all business users. Ensure all issues are addressed in a timely and professional manner. If required, escalate the issue internally or through external partners whilst remaining as the point of contact with the user until a resolution is achieved.
- Support in the coordination with CAD/PLM central support groups. Establish relationships with key CAD groups within the business. Working with the IT Applications & Infrastructure Manager assess and influence decisions impacting the company.
- Working with the IT Applications & Infrastructure Manager, become the main SAP P&E responsible. Administrate the system and provide user support. Ensure projects are managed as per PT guidelines.
- As a member of the Application Support Team, contribute to the definition of the CAD/PLM strategy. Using knowledge gained supporting the users, provide feedback and recommendations within the Application Support team.
- Working with the IT Applications & Infrastructure Manager, facilitate the introduction of new PLM systems into the business.
- Provide training as defined in the use of CAD Applications and Tools. Plan, coordinate and deliver CAD/PLM training to users. Following company guidelines reinforce consistent workflows and best practice.
- Produce User Guides and Supporting Technical Documentation for CAD/PLM applications/tools. Create, review and update user guidelines for the CAD/PLM applications. Produce complimentary documentation for the technical reference library (videos) and social media.
- Assist in the assessment, development and testing of supplementary CAD tools. Research and recommend new tools to aid progression of CAD systems.
- Assist creation and installation of deployment packages for CAD/PLM applications. Create network deployments, configurations and user settings. Assist in the testing process prior to application rollouts and upgrades. Manage user installations with minimal impact to the users and business.
- Configure and maintain licence server applications. Manage the configuration and maintenance of the licensing applications. Install new licensing services, resolve issues and monitor license usage.
- Work with the business to ensure that engineering documentation is aligned with all relevant standards. Work with the engineers to ensure they are adhering to guidelines, review periodically and report feedback to assist improvement of training and guidelines.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Thorough understanding of 2D and 3D CAD principles
- Good understanding of PDM/PLM principles
- Knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Effective communicator comfortable with discussing engineering principles
- Some knowledge of programming (VB, VBA, Lisp)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience using 2D/3D CAD applications (Specifically 2D AutoCAD and 3D Solid Edge, Inventor or similar)
- Experience of PDM/PLM administration (SAP, Autodesk Vault, Siemens PLM TeamCenter, Insight or similar)
- Working experience of using Autodesk VAULT
- Working experience of using Solid Edge or Autodesk Inventor
- Previous experience of delivering training material
Educational or professional requirements
- Degree or HND in an IT/ Engineering / Science or related discipline or equivalent job experience.
- Driving License required
- Some travel required between UK sites.