Controls & Instrumentation Technician
On Line People Limited are currently looking for a Controls & Instrumentation Technician to work for one of our major clients based in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. This is initially a contract position for approximately 12 months.
To carry out maintenance to the power plant systems to ensure the continued production of electricity to meet customer requirements, achieving best business value and compliance with HSE, company and statutory requirements
- As a member of a team of multi skilled technicians (Mechanical, Electrical, Control and Instrumentation) carrying out maintenance to a plant comprising complex and diverse range of equipment operating 24/7/365 in a stop and starting regime.
- Primary role for this position is Controls and Instrumentation Maintenance. Covering for example
- Siemens S7 PLC’s
- Discrete instrumentation devices (temperature, flow, pressure etc) connected by 4-20mA and Ethernet and various RS protocols.
- Siemens T3000 DCS
- Actuators and feedback devices on Switchgear 110v – 6.6KV, transformers, motors / actuators, lighting, power distribution panels, generators (H2 cooled), ATEX equipment, EMF regs familiarity etc.
- Capable of operating with minimal supervision
Note: The plant is currently undergoing major upgrade and overhaul thus the first 12 months of this appointment will be to support extensive Balance of Plant Maintenance works working in conjunction with the Kings Lynn Maintenance team and multiple nominated contractors across all systems on site. Transitioning to commissioning support and flexible working will be required then followed by the initiation of operation of the plant commercially.
- This role may be required to provide cover for the other team members on a short term basis from time to time, for operational / holiday cover reasons
- This role is required to ensure that health, safety and environmental standards are maintained by providing direct supervision of work activities and contract staff, carrying out the delegate person responsibility to assist in ensuring site sustains compliance with Company Policy and procedures and legislative requirements during the planning and delivery of works on site.
- Develop, communicate, and implement complex and multiple task plans, including resource management and scheduling. Use of SAP for work orders, stock control and spares ordering will be essential.
- Capable of developing the technical specification and delivery of lower value contracts, monitoring performance and developing action plans for review by the Mechanical Engineer.
- Executes routine and non-routine maintenance activities in accordance with agreed procedures and operational requirements to ensure plant is operating safely, effectively and efficiently. Ensures safe working practices and procedures are adhered to within the work area.
- Carry out first line maintenance activities, with response to emergency / unscheduled situations in the event of abnormal incidents in order to protect plant and personnel ensuring compliancy with safety and environmental policies.
- Investigates complex technical problems relating to critical plant, identifies, diagnose and reports defects within the plant utilising the Maintenance Management system (SAP). Defects are resolved whilst maintaining station performance and meeting operational targets by returning plant to normal operating service.
- Preparing work method statements, risk assessment and / or plant operating instructions ensuring the required level of maintenance to asset is achieved and records maintained, including the preparation of work orders; ordering spares, completing risk assessments and identification of resources.
- Adopt technical lead role where technical specialist in area of work carried out, in accordance with requests from the Electrical Engineer.
- Provides Service Support function to the Operations department and ensures defects and status of any maintenance activity is effectively communicated to the shift teams.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
Key success indicators include and are not limited to…
- Station Maintenance management and planning system updated correctly and timely with relevant information.
- Work activities are undertaken safely and efficiently in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Preparation of compliant maintenance instructions.
- Site-specific delegations properly managed.
- Up to date suite of O&M instructions.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Possess a HNC or equivalent in an Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of ONC (or equivalent experience) in an appropriate engineering subject.
- Completed a recognised formal training programme or apprenticeship to achieve technician status (C&G parts I, II &III)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible approach adapting quickly to things new, changes in the job and work environment and who enjoys being fully involved in ensuring the business is a success.
- Identify improvements and take initiatives to the betterment of the business.
- Good numeracy, literacy and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrable competence in use of IT/IS skills e.g. MS Office.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Member of recognised professional institution
- Demonstrable experience within the power generation industry.
The role demands close working with relevant onsite personnel and contractors working as ‘one team’ therefore good working relationships must be established and maintained. Develop working relationships with contractors and ensure compliance with station policies. The station is being setup to run with Operator Maintainers in the day to day operationalteam, the relationship must be supportive and productive with these teams and the ControlsTechnician support to those keen to learn and develop will be key.
The plant is currently undergoing major works with a plan to return to service late 2018 /early 2019 this means the initial work period will involve substantial work with contractorsand balance of plant maintenance works supervision and delivery. Works will be required toassist in re-establishing the maintenance routines and division of duties between. Maintenance team and Operator Maintainer team with competencies accounted for and appropriate drivers for works re-evaluated (time, condition, failure based) by the O&M team toward the back end of this period. Finally then active support in the receiving back of live systems, testing and commissioning for release to Operations will be required and developing contractor relationships for future on-going periodic maintenance.