Technical Design Manager
On Line People Limited are currently looking for a Technical Design Manager to work for one of our major clients based in Melton East Yorkshire. This is a permanent position working full time hours.
The Technical Design Manager drives the technical realisation of projects and administers the daily operations of the project design team. The role serves as a critical liaison between the project design team and project management, estimating, production, senior management, and clients.
- Attend kick-off and client meetings to ensure critical design information flows unencumbered to individual designers.
- Originate preliminary technical solutions for each project requirement and brainstorm with the project design leads to explore options and determine the preferred technical approaches.
- Interface with projects team leaders to set priorities and schedule workflow to best meet design and manufacturing calendar goals.
- Act as one direct client interface, hunting and gathering critical information designers need to maintain forward progress.
- Collaborate with Design Team Leads to develop drafting, calculation, documentation, and data storage standards that are consistent across the company.
- Highlight significant scope changes to Project Management that could lead to change orders, or additional sales possibilities leading to additional revenue.
- Serve as primary team contact with third party engineers, while promoting direct collaboration with individual designers.
- Red flag any current or potential design issues as early as possible, so priorities can be rearranged to mitigate the impact.
- Lead detailed technical discussions, exploring multiple approaches for the most effective solutions.
- Oversee the big picture of each project to ensure the collaboration of individual element designers and integration of all parts to prevent scope voids or overlaps.
- Maintain a fair balance between the client's artistic goals and the company's profit goals.
- Generate preliminary design hours estimates with the estimating team followed by regular feedback on completion status, and updates to all task lists/schedules in response to evolving scope and resource changes.
- Oversee and ensure accurate recording of project design hours plus daily scheduling.
- Ensure the proper distribution of design documents to Production, Project management, Health & Safety, Third Party Engineers, and Client Staff.
- Review all design documentation for completeness, safety, reliability, manufacturability, and adherence to budget goals.
- Provide a conduit between design and management to relate group or personal concerns, issues, or suggested improvements.
- Complete appraisals for current staff and collaborate on the hiring of future project/asset design recruits.
- Develop and implement a training regimen for the design team in classroom and hands-on skill improvements.
- Mentor the design team in company processes and approaches plus general industry standards and knowledge.
Skills and Educational Background / Experience:
- Industry experience, specifically in building design for both commercial and residential sectors.
- Sound organisational skills for success in a fast paced, creative work environment.
- Strong communication, team leadership, and interpersonal skills for a very collaborative workplace.
- Solid computer proficiency in AutoCAD 2D and Microsoft Office, Autodesk Revit would be advantageous.
- Degree in Architecture or equivalent industry experience commensurate with a degree.