On Line People Limited are currently looking for a Day Chemist to work for one of our major clients based in Scunthorpe. This is initially a contract position for approximately 6-12 months working from 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
PURPOSE OF JOB
The job holder will carry out a range of operational and technical duties within Analytical Services laboratories using instrumented and traditional wet chemistry methods. The job includes the operation and calibration of a number of analytical instruments along with traditional chemical laboratory techniques. As part of this the ability to perform both routine and higher-level maintenance is also a requirement. The applicant will also be expected to ensure that instrument performance and availability target levels are attained.
- Conduct routine analysis by approved techniques.
- Assist in defining an analytical route for non-routine analysis and support plant trials and liaise with both internal and external customers.
- All work will be undertaken in line with written procedures, National & International standards ensuring this is carried out in a safe, timely manner and to the highest standard.
- Monitor and maintain spares and consumables stock levels.
- Assist in creating and the reviewing of operational practices and safe working procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of the main processes in an integrated steel works and how they can impact on chemical performance.
The position exists to deliver chemical analysis of effluents, raw materials, finished products and lubricants to a range of customers.
The jobholder is responsible for discharging all aspects from maintaining sample integrity to QMS adherence to delivery of analytical results in a fast-paced technical area.
Role reports to the Section Chemist, Central Labs
- Senior Day Chemists/Day Chemists/Shift Chemists
- Section Manager Analytical Chemistry
- Plant contacts (Local)
- External customers / external bodies (EA)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The jobholder should hold a level 3 or higher-level qualification in Chemistry or other Physical Sciences, supplemented by good GCSE’s in English and Math’s. The job includes the use of chemicals, a number of cleaning agents, the use and maintenance of laboratory equipment along with some advanced computer work. It involves working a full-time day schedule with flexibility for occasional cover for bank holiday/weekends / Christmas period working. All necessary training is provided.
Part of a small (3) team providing some 3500 analytical reports per month on waters, effluents, raw materials, finished products and lubricants.