On Line People Limited are currently looking for Testing Technicians to work for one of our major clients based in Scunthorpe. This is initially a long-term contract position.
Your main duties will be to operate a comprehensive range of precision equipment associated with the preparation and physical testing of Works’ product within defined parameters. To initiate the release and certification systems in support of customer service aspirations.
You will be required to carry out a rapid and comprehensive mechanical testing and certification
service, taking account of customers ordered requirements and specification parameters. This
requires you to exhibit high standards of integrity as arbiters of acceptability for Works’
- Operate a variety of computer/manual precision controlled mechanical testing machines and ancillary equipment to provide test results.
- Identify test requirements for test pieces and indicate machining requirements.
- Operate specialist engineering machinery for preparation of wide range of test samples to precise tolerance limits.
- Assess test results against customer order requirements to initiate product release and certification procedures to support delivery aspirations.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge, experience and judgement to order suitable further processing of material as appropriate.
- Liaise and co-operate with visiting outside inspection bodies, performing tests under the scrutiny or on behalf of those same third parties.
- Undertake the delegated responsibility of those Classification Societies which have conferred Mode 1 status upon the Works’ operations.
- Prepare test coupons for various heat treatment procedures involving the pre-programming of furnace control systems.
- Operate mainframe, process control and stand alone pc systems to ensure accurate input and management of test data.
- Monitor process and equipment performance standards against internationally recognized acceptance criteria to maintain best practice operational and testing performance.
- Carry out maintenance/condition procedures as identified for relevant machinery.
- Maintain appropriate standards of housekeeping and order in the workplace.
- Instruct trainees with regards to business operations, safety and quality procedures.
- Contribute to the review of Safe Working Procedures and Risk Assessments to ensure high standards of safety are achieved and maintained.
- Differentiate between an invalid test and a test failure and take action as appropriate.
- Demonstrate suitable technical knowledge and objective evidence to third party bodies in support of such actions.
- Liaise with external inspectors and customer representatives to ensure that all testing requirements for orders are complied with and to ensure that all documentation and test pieces associated with this are available to avoid any delays.
- Investigate and progress outstanding tests.
Knowledge and experience;
- You will be preferably educated and qualified to ONC level in a technical or engineering based discipline.
- Knowledge of the integrated iron and steelmaking process.
- Effective communication skills.
- IT literate with thorough knowledge of Works mainframe and local systems.
- Thorough knowledge of all Test House activities to enable total flexibility of operations within the Department.